Heleen Cornet was born in Holland. She obtained a degree in education and a
master's degree in fine arts from the Academy of Fine Arts in Amersfoort
After having lived for a couple of years in Norway she moved in
1975 to Bonaire (Neth. Antilles). There she taught fine arts at the high
school for five years.
After living for one year in Curacao and St. Maarten
she moved in 1986 to Saba were she was an art teacher at the Saba
Comprehensive School for 3 years. Together with her husband Tom van't Hof
and two children she has made Saba her residence ever since.
Heleen published several books together with her husband marine biologist
Tom van't Hof for the marine parks of Bonaire, Curacao and Saba for which
she did the illustrations. The books Saban Cottages and Echoes of the Past
are illustrated with watercolors of the picturesque historical houses on the
Caribbean islands Saba and Sint Eustatius
Initially only working in watercolor Heleen decided the paper was getting
too small which made her switch to oil after studying this medium in
Amsterdam with well-known artist Rik Lina. Lately, after discovering the
advantages of watercolor canvas she renovated her style, less realistic,
more colorful, using the unpredictable creativity of this medium.
Heleen can be found regularly on the top of Mount Scenery were she makes
drawings of the dramatic rain forest. She camped on the mountain for more
than four weeks. These drawings have resulted in big oil and watercolor on
Heleen also did a mural in the Sacred Heart Church, a Roman Catholic Church
in the Bottom on Saba. Here she combines rainforest scenes with religious
Another source of inspiration for Heleen is the underwater world of Saba.
Diving together with her husband in the pristine crystal clear Caribbean Sea
she made drawings underwater. The series of dolphin paintings and other
underwater creatures is the result.
Cornet was asked for prestigious exhibits where she participated with
installations of rainforests and the underwaterworld as there is the: 1st,
2nd and 3rd Biennial, Santo. Domingo, Republica Dominicana and, the 23rd
Bienal International, San Paulo, Brazil.
More info about Heleen you can find on her website www.heleencornet.com
Phone: 599 416 2708
skype: TOM VAN T HOF
Click on any thumbail below to see a bigger image.
- 1989-1996 Saba, Heleen's Art Gallery, permanent show
- 1995 - 2001 selection of the month, Breadfruit Gallery, Saba, Neth.
- 1998, Rainforest Room, Turtle Room, Dolphin Room, Hotel Captain's Quarters, Windwardside, Saba, Neth. Antilles.
- 2001, Rainforest and Dolphins, St. Maarten
- 2002. Bonaire Underwater World. Bonaire.
- 2004. Tropics, Saba.
- 2007. Peanut Gallery Saba
- 2008. Landhuis Bloemhof. Curacao
back to Arts and Crafts Home
- 1992, 1st Biennial, Sto. Domingo, Republica Dominicana
- 1993, 100 years Caribbean Art, Museo de las Americas,
- 1994, Carib Art, Unesco traveling exhibition
- 1994, 2nd Biennial, Sto. Domingo, Republica Dominicana
- 1995, 2nd International Female Artists' Art Bienal, Stockholm,
- 1996, Saban Art Show, Gallery 86, Curacao, Neth. Antilles.
- 1996, Netherlands Antillean Art, Royal Netherlands Embassy,
- 1996, 3rd Biennial, Sto Domingo, Republica Dominicana
- 1996, 23rd Bienal International, San Paulo, Brazail.
- 1997, Classic Caribbean Art Gallery, Cuaracao, Neth. Antilles
- 1997, Artist of the Month, Breadfruit Gallery, Saba, Neth. Antilles
- 1997, Woman and Identity, Bonaire, Neth. Antilles
- 1998, Masks in Venice, Art Addiction Annual, Italy
- 1999, Arte 99, Curacao
- 1999, Grands et Jeunes d'aurjourd'hui, salon 1999, Paris
- 2000, Selection of the month, Breadfruit Gallery, Saba, Neth.
- 2000, Cariforo, traveling exhibition Caribbean art, Santo Domingo
- 2001. Workshop Yubi and Tirzo, Curacao Museum, Curacao
- 2001. Between Lines. Travelling exhibition Unesco.
- 2002. Festival del Caribe. Fiesta del Fuege. Cuba
- 2003. Peanut Gallery, Saba
- 2004. Peanut Gallery, Saba.
- 2005. Arte Américos, Rio de Janeiro.
- 2006. Polyrhythmik, Bonaire
- 2007. Peanut Gallery, Saba
- 2007. Tropics, Saba.
- 2008. Peanut Gallery. Saba
- 2009. Landhuis Bloemhof. Cutacao.
Arts and Crafts
Saba Lace Work